These coin banks all seem to have a few common themes. They are miniature buildings representing mostly religious structures and all seem to have a similar rough-casting look – either in cast iron or aluminum.
What many people call the Westwood Bronze Memorials building is actually a replica of the Bethel college administration building. There is an advertising on the bottom for the cemetery memorial maker, hence the confusion.
A black-colored cast iron bank made as a replica of a building known as the Old Colony Church in Bishop Hill Illinois. This community has a very interesting history, being an early Swedish settlement. Base of the bank measures 3 1/2" x 5 3/8" inches and stands 2 1/2" inches high. On the bottom of the bank replica is written, “1848 Old Colony Church Bishop Hill Henry County ILL.” One sold on eBay for $26.
A cast iron souvenir building representing Harleysville Bank & Trust Co. It measures 5 1/4" x 3" x 2 ¾.” One sold recently on eBay for $21.50.
The 1949 Kraybill Mennonite School from Mt. Joy, Pa. coin building bank was the original Meeting House. The bank measures 3 1/8" tall, 5 2/8" long, 3 5/8" wide. Made of Armetale metal, which is a non-toxic, aluminum-based alloy, making it ideal for cooking and entertaining products (and apparently coin banks too).
The St. Jacob's Stone Church in Broadbecks, Pa. is an aluminum metal souvenir building bank made in 1989 for the 100th anniversary of the Church in Broadbecks, PA. One sold on eBay recently for $59. St. Jacob's United Church of Christ has a rich Pennsylvania Dutch history. The congregation itself has existed for more than two hundred and fifty years, serving the south central region of Pennsylvania in worship, fellowship, and education. The Church began in 1756, but by 1789 the log church building was inadequate accommodate its increased membership. It was taken down and replaced by a stone structure of larger dimensions, from which it derived its name, "The Stone Church." Again in 1855, it was necessary to tear down the old structure and erect a brick one of larger dimensions because of the rapid growth of the membership and increased demands for better facilities. In 1889, when the structure was seriously damaged by lightening, it became unsafe. The cornerstone of the new building of brick and Hummselstown brownstone with a Gothic style and architecture was laid on August 4, 1889. Approximately 400 people can be seated in the sanctuary. This building still stands today. There were approximately 500 of these banks made. They measure 4" tall and 5" by 5-1/4" square.