Check out this historic photo of David Lynn, architect of the capitol, with two miniature monuments presented to him by Joe Sullivan, an inspector in the Washington Fire Department, and Thomas Bell. The miniatures were built with 14 different kinds of mosaic which were collected by Sullivan’s Father when he worked as a laborer on construction of the Capitol’s east and west wings from 1859-1860. The photo is from December 1924. Can anyone identify the monuments? David Lynn was appointed Architect of the Capitol in 1923 by President Calvin Coolidge. During his tenure, the Capitol Grounds increase dramatically with construction of major buildings for the House of Representatives (the Longworth House Office Building), the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress and the Botanic Garden. In addition, the wing of the Russell Senate Office Building was built, the Capitol Power Plant was enlarged, and construction on the Dirksen Senate Office Building began.